8020 Communications is an award-winning PR agency for the aviation, travel, transport and sustainability industries. We’re experts in business-to-business and consumer communications, skilled at understanding complex issues and making them resonate with customers and other audiences. We help clients define and deliver their messages through Earned, Owned and Paid channels, including media relations, social media and marketing content. Our experience includes aircraft manufacturers, airlines, business travel, cargo, fintech, hospitality, loyalty schemes, tour operators, travel agents and travel technology. We’re members of the Public Relations & Communications Association and holders of the Association’s CMS quality standard.
We have an exciting opportunity for an account manager to join our busy team and work on several of our most high-profile and glamorous international clients. You will need a minimum of three years’ public relations experience, either as a recently promoted account manager or a senior account executive. Responsible for driving client accounts on a day-to-day basis, you’ll execute strategies and activities agreed with the account director, ensuring that programmes and objectives are adhered to, the work of teams is well organised and that results are carefully analysed for presentation to clients.
You will report to client directors/account directors and will delegate to and manage the work of account executives/senior account executives. Due to arrangements under COVID-19, you will work partly from home and partly from our socially distanced office in central Guildford, Surrey.
- Playing the central role in the client team and taking full responsibility for the daily and weekly implementation of client programmes, managing client relationships and resolving any problems.
- Delegating work as appropriate to junior staff members, motivating them and helping them to manage their workloads to ensure timely delivery.
- Measuring results achieved for clients versus targets and KPIs, driving the preparation of results analyses, media coverage reports and activity reports.
- Having the ability to lead new business brainstorms and making a creative input into new business pitches.
- Working with the account director to develop client PR strategies and plans
- Possessing and developing useful and relevant business contacts.
- Having a mature ability to brief designers, photographers, printers, etc. in a knowledgeable and precise manner, negotiating costs and managing quality control and deadlines.
- Having a full understanding of financial controls on all accounts, including budgeting policies and procedures.
- Having the ability to commission and analyse research, including surveys and focus groups.
- Driving the media relations programme for clients as laid out in the programme of activity agreed with the account director. Proactively seeking and identifying opportunities to ensure the maximum level of coverage is achieved for clients.
- Possessing a complete understanding of how the media works in the areas in which clients operate - the opportunities available, means of building relationships with journalists (including in-person networking), etc.
- Understanding and advising on media handling, including interview briefings, developing Q&As, exclusives, embargoes and damage limitations.
- Alerting clients to reputational risks or opportunities presented by broader areas of corporate responsibility, e.g. sustainability and employment practices.
- Planning and managing the organisation of events, such as workshops, photo calls and press conferences.
- Negotiating and overseeing promotional activity, such as sponsorships, competitions, sampling offers, etc.
SOCIAL MEDIA & DIGITAL MARKETING
- With the account director, advising clients on social media and Paid digital communications strategies.
- Planning social media content schedules and coordinating activity across the client team.
- Liaising with 8020’s digital marketing partner agencies to help design Paid promotional activities and integrate them into client programmes.
- Contributing to and sharing responsibility for managing 8020’s own social media activity.
- Writing coherent, concise and factually accurate press releases, articles, briefing documents, press kits, emails, tweets and other materials that require only exceptional amendments by senior colleagues and clients.
- Amending and improving press releases, copy for newsletters, etc. drafted by account executives.
- Final proofreading of all written materials, including reports, prepared by junior colleagues.
- Drafting new business proposals, reports, speeches and presentations under direction by the account director.
- Leading meetings, ensuring that meeting preparation is well organised and that account directors or seniors are fully briefed on meeting topics.
- Taking a key role in presentations to existing clients and at new business pitches.
_ required qualities
- The role requires a self-confident individual, at ease with liaising with senior client contacts and busy journalists.
- You need to be highly organised with the ability to keep on top of multiple activities simultaneously.
- You must be highly adaptable to change and short notice client requests, with the ability to remain calm and think clearly under time pressure.
- You must be enthusiastic about your work and its potential to benefit clients’ businesses.
- You must possess extremely strong writing skills in all the types of work detailed above.
- You must enjoy the cut and thrust of media relations and be ambitious to achieve outstanding results.
- You must be team-oriented and enjoy delivering great results through collaboration with colleagues and partners.
- You must possess excellent research skills and enjoy mastering sometimes complex topics.
- In normal times, you must be able and eager to travel internationally on business.
- You must want to be the best at what you do.
- While not essential, expertise in any of the following would also be desirable: video filming/editing, photography, digital marketing, podcast production, fluency in foreign languages.
A position at 8020 comes with many benefits, including:
- Competitive salary
- Auto-enrolment pension
- Performance-related company bonus scheme
- 25 days holiday plus public holidays
- An extra day off on your birthday
- Private medical insurance
- Six-monthly career reviews
- Monthly mentoring scheme
- Monthly grant towards gym membership or other fitness activity*
- Monthly social activities
- Summer and Christmas parties*
- Visiting office masseur*
- International business travel opportunities*
- Healthy (and unhealthy) office snacks*
- Decent coffee and herbal teas
- Friday afternoon open bar*
- Investment in technology to help you succeed
- Company financial support for journalist and industry networking
- Positive encouragement at every turn
* Currently paused due to COVID-19 mitigation measures.
_why join 8020?
We’re committed to being a world-class specialist PR consultancy. We aim to recruit smart people and give them the training, technology and opportunity to reach their potential. If you want a work environment that’s growing, supportive, understands work/life balance and strives for excellence, we could be the place for you.
Application deadline: 02/10/2020
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £30,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Company pension
- Gym membership
- On-site parking
- Private medical insurance
- Sick pay
- Store discounts
- Wellness programmes
Due to arrangements under COVID-19, you will work partly from home and partly from our socially distanced office in central Guildford, Surrey.
- Public Relations: 3 years (Required)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19